[Amps] [AMPS] 3-500z "glow blue"

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Apr 7 16:11:23 PDT 2010

Blue glow in most of the tubes we use would indicate the presence of
gas, or the tube going gassy, but some tubes like the 6L6 normally run
with a blue glow.
Would a small amount of glow in a 4-1000 hurt? Probably not, but I
"don't think" it's a good indication for the future. OTOH some one with
more savvy than I have really needs to answer that.

Now if you've boosted the plate voltage and you are getting a green
glow, that's time to stop. We used to make X-Ray generator using the old
bulb shaped tubes with the silvery getter on the inside of the top. Then
we'd put a layer of Aluminum foil over the top of the tube. (these did
not have any connection on top of the tube). We would then put 20-30,000
volts + on the foil and the negative lead to the filament which was not
powered. I don't remember at what voltage level soft X-Rays start but
it's somewhat under 30KV.  This was part of a "how to" article in
Scientific American back in the 50's.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Shon Edwards wrote:
> See:  http://www.jacmusic.com/html/articles/blueglow/blueglow.htm.
>
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 3:56 PM, DAVE WHITE <mausoptik at btinternet.com> wrote:
>

>> If I key down with my 4-1000A amp tuned up, I can see a faint blue glow
>> around the glass, looking from above - but I thought that was normal
>>
>> Dave G0OIL

>>> 6) Tubes do not glow blue
>>> 7) The tubes appear OK (physically), passed the "shame next to ear" test
>>> 8) No grid current