[Amps] SB220 SICK...RELAY

Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO w5wvo at cybermesa.net
Wed Apr 7 18:13:49 PDT 2010

I would NOT recommend the Harbach SB-220 replacement T-R relay. The one I
bought worked reliably for less than six months before beginning to exhibit
very poor contact pressure in the receive (normally-closed) position,
requiring almost continuous attention (cleaning/burnishing). I finally got
sick of it, pulled it out, and threw it in the trash. I then designed a T-R
system (after considerable research on the internet) using Kilovac vacuum
relays and a small reed relay to switch the operating bias on. Works great,
super-fast, now I have QSK CW.

A second caveat on the Harbach relay is that it is NOT a direct pin-for-pin
clone of the Heath relay. You will need to analyze its pinouts carefully.
Wires will end up going to different places on it.

Your mileage may vary. The Harbach might end up working fine for you, but I
can't recommend it.

Having said that, my converted 6m SB-220 has numerous other Harbach products
in it, and they are all working fine. Just not the replacement T-R relay,
which is now in a landfill somewhere in Rio Rancho, New Mexico.

Bill W5WVO