[Amps] HV lytic max V ratings..some notes.

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Fri Apr 9 06:15:30 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom at telus.net>
To: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2010 8:13 AM
Subject: [Amps] HV lytic max V ratings..some notes.

> Somebody was asking abt how high you can safely operate a typ 450 v lytic.
> Per Cornel dublier's  eng notes, buried pretty good,  they say..[ and I
> don't know
> if this pertains to new ...'wonder caps'  that pack a lot of uf into a
> small can,
> or the older types].. for  commercial / military applications, don't run
> em over
> 75%  of their V ratings.   And for aerospace applications, don't run em
> over 50%
> of their ratings.
>
> That's 75%  of the  working vdc.. NOT the ...'surge rating'.    Typ surge
> V rating is
> 525 vdc.      That surge rating is typ 3-8 seconds MAX.
>
> They also  depicted  a graph of leakage current in micro amps VS  voltage,
> from 90-110%
> of a 450 vdc  cap.   The leakage current dropped like a rock, when the cap
> was run at  90%
> of it's rating  VS  100% .   They  don't  show leakage current < 90%...
> but it drops even more.
>
> I notice the stock  200 uf  @  450 vdc caps  in my 4 x old 1977 era  Drake
> L4B's  seem too last
> forever. B+ on em is 2650 vdc  NO load on RX.   2650/3600 = 73.6%    A
> heath SB-220 and similar
> amps  with the same  8 x 450 vdc caps, run at 3300-3600 vd.... don't fare
> as well after yrs of use.

** The Drake secondary is 780/1065 VAC. The Heath is 860/1171 VAC.  Where do
you get your numbers from?

** Most of the SB-220 series I get thru here have good original caps. Get
rid of the 30K heaters and go with 100K MOX and verify that the voltage
deltas arent excessive. I use the standard Mouser 5% Xicon, no need for 1%.

** Amazingly Im still getting mid 60's NCL-2000's in with original caps.
National used a custom built 80uF  450V rated for high ripple current, about
an inch longer than a comparable Sprague Atom.

Carl
KM1H