[Amps] CB amp directly coupled via cap to antenna

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Sun Apr 11 07:44:09 PDT 2010

Bill, I think you missed part of the discussion:we were not talking about
tuned circuits.

We were talking about an amplifier with no tank circuit being coupled
directly (no transmission line) to an antenna. Normally when we think about
amplifier tank circuit Q, we do not include any part of the antenna R +j;
considering it to be 50 +j0.

In the case under discussion someone mentioned a Q of 1 and my reply was to
 counter that statement.

This is all hypothetical of coarse as there is always some C across the
tube plate to cathode plus any stray C lurking around. But, in the
hypothetical  case of no tank circuit, there is infinite reactance, other than what
might  be present due to the plate rf choke, which we will ignore.

The discussion went on to state that the antenna would be resonated at the
operating frequency. Antenna resonance is accepted to R +j0 customarily.

In the hypothetical case, the parallel circuit is infinite reactance
shunted by the antenna resistance. Q =  R/infinity is a Q of zero. If we
substituted a dummy load of R=antenna there would still be infinite tank  reactance
and a Q of zero.

In this hypothetical case, I stand by my suggestion that Q =   zero.

73,
Gerald K5GW
\

In a message dated 4/11/2010 2:04:25 A.M. Central Daylight Time,