[Amps] A tale of two IMs What happens?

Alex Eban alexeban at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 23:43:15 PDT 2010

Not quite right:
Intermodulation products are extraneous signals generated by mixing two or
more signals among themselves: they appear at very definite frequencies in
the spectrum and are perfectly correlated with the signals that participated
in their generation.
Cross modulation on the other hand is a mechanism, whereby the information
present on one carrier appears on another carrier in the passband of the
amplifier.
Intermodulation products are multiplicative, not additive: if the first
stage amplifier generates IM products of, say -6o dBc , a second identical
amplifier will generate its own IM products PLUS the Im of the first stage
multiplied by the first stage gain SQUARED. That stems from the higher IM
products of the second  stage, driven by the higher sinal: the output of the
first stage.

Alex		4Z5KS