[Amps] 160m mosfet linear amplifier problem with ferrite cores

Ron Youvan ka4inm at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Apr 19 08:25:36 PDT 2010

>> I'm not sure if you would call 500W 'high power'

> This is not a "500W" amplifier.  This claims to be a 2KW PEP
> amplifier - in AM PEP is 4 x carrier.  In this case an amplifier
> spec'd for "500W AM" would be 4 x 500 = 2000.

   The trouble is: I don't think this amplifier using "switching FETs" instead of "RF
FETs" is capable of inputting enough DC power to output 2,000 Watts of peak envelope power.
   110 Volts X 16 Amps = 1,760 Watts in.  I don't think getting a clean 500 Watts of CW
out will be easy.
--
    Ron  KA4INM - The next election, I know what is going to happen, I'm going to help.