[Amps] 160m mosfet linear amplifier problem with ferrite cores

Alex Eban alexeban at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 02:32:29 PDT 2010

First of all the guy INSULATED the FET's from the heatsink!
You can see the mica insulators of the side plate where the transistors are mounted.
He also used a WIDE  copper strip to connect the drains; parallel connected FET's are notorious for breaking into oscillations using the stray inductance of interconnecting wires as a resonating circuit. I've seen a pair of them running off merrily at about 80 MHz , in a circuit supposed to work at DC!
It's probably more an issue of the way it's built than a real electrical problem. If stray coupling causes oscillations, then it can also explain the cracked cores in the output transformers.
My recommendation is that you rebuild it along Tzitzika's model, with good short wiring, insulated transistors and good bypassing.
It's like cooking: first time copy the recipe exactly. Improvise on the second run! At these power levels it takes very little to go from a working circuit to a catastrophe!
Alex		4Z5KS