[Amps] New HF amplifier

Dennis OConnor ad4hk2004 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 17:21:22 PDT 2010

"So you're saying Alpha, Ten-Tec, Jim W8ZR, Jerry K8RA and myself are all wrong and their designs don't or wont work?"

ummmm, very short and very blunt answer, yes...

Longer, more nuanced answer, those designs will not work "optimally" because of lost energy (heat) from the pumping of out of phase currents in the toroid cores that have taps and unused turns - energy that should have gone out the coax...

For a proper design, go look at the Palstar HF2500DX... Each band has it's own separate toroid, uncoupled from the turns on the unused cores, so that there are no out of phase currents induced into the operating core...

If my answer is over blunt, I apologize -  you asked the question and that is my answer... I am not looking to get into a squabble with anyone...

cheers
denny / k8do