[Amps] TL-922 grid chokes

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Wed Aug 4 17:30:07 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Randall Mullinax" <rcm at mail.icnet.net>
To: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 11:34 AM
Subject: [Amps] TL-922 grid chokes

The grid chokes in my TL-922 were replaced with 10 ohm resistors
by the previous owner.  The amp works fine except on 10 M where the
resistors go up in smoke within a few seconds.

This bring up several questions.

1. Is the amplifier oscillating on 10 M?

** Probably not, are they metal film or wire wound?

2. Should I replace the resistors with the factory 470 uH chokes
or directly ground the grids?

** They worked well for Kenwood.

3. Where can I get replacement grid chokes?

** Any of the catalog outfits, the value isnt very critical, the SB-220 used
1 mH @ 300 ma for about 26 Ohms DC resistance.

4. I've read about adding/increasing negative feedback.  Does anyone
have suggestions?

** Do you have excess drive to burn up?  If so add some R in series with the
drive at the socket.

Carl
KM1H

Thanks for any and all comments.