[Amps] Can I cool too much the tubes?

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Aug 18 13:08:12 PDT 2010

On 8/18/2010 2:29 PM, Bill, W6WRT wrote:
> [...]
The transformer ratings/temp are another important point.  I've no
experience with the Ten Tec amps, but I've always liked their
transceivers. The transformers in some of these amps get HOT! As long as
they don't get too hot it doesn't hurt them, but are they rated to run
full power over long periods? I think many are rated for Intermittent
amateur service rather than CAS or CCS.

However, when you look at various amps in the same power range and not
today's legal limit Vs the "old" legal limit AND the prices differ
notably the transformer is one of the major expenses. Labor, tubes,
quality, plus fit and finish are the others. Only the Alphas come close
to the present day Japanese for fit and finish. That is not to say all
US made look cheap in comparison, but a number of them do. OTOH fit and
finish are not what makes contacts. The Chinese are beginning to produce
some stuff with pretty good fit and finish as well as quality with
inexpensive labor.  I'd not be surprised to see Korean amps show up to
compete with them before long. Note how they are making inroads into the
automotive market.

Even with my long winded transmissions the transformer in mine barely
gets luke warm.  What it'd do with a lot of digital or contest, I
haven't seen...yet, but as it's rated for continuous carrier 33% higher
than the legal limit, I figure it'd handle digital at the legal limit
all day long as well and then next size up has a notably heavier
transformer.

73

Roger (K8RI)