[Amps] Can I cool too much the tubes?

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Tue Aug 24 08:50:41 PDT 2010

Yes, a typical amp runs at say 66% efficient at full power out. Now reduce
the drive so that you have 1/4 the power out (as is done for AM linear
operation) and you have roughly 1/2 the efficiency or around 33%.

At 1000 watts input the output would be 660 watts (66%) with a plate
dissipation of 340 watts (1000-660).

At 1/4 power output the input power is going to be around 500 watts. At 33%
efficiency that gives 165 watts out with a plate dissipation of 335 watts
(500-165).

As a general rule the efficiency drops 1/2 as much as power output does.
This holds pretty true for class B but is modified as you get into AB and
gets worse as you approach class A.

So if using the amp on CW or RTTY at reduced power you are much better off
retuning at the lower drive level for maximum power out which returns the
efficiency and reduces plate dissipation and power supply dissipation.

73
Gary  K4FMX