[Amps] vacuum relay problem

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Sun Aug 29 02:53:10 PDT 2010

Felipe Ceglia wrote:
> I had a jennings rj1on my amp output that would not return to NC
> position, then I replaced it by a kilovac hc2/s3 which some hours
> later started behaving exactly the same.

Are you sure the relay is not being "hot switched" ?

I use RJ1 relays in two of my amps, with RG-142B/U connected
directly to the relay terminals. Both amps have many hours with no
relay failures and both have been run QSK much of the time (so a lot
of switching). The coax has some rather sharp bends near the relays,
so it does exert some physical stress on the relays.

73,
Paul N1BUG