[Amps] Homebrew Amps

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Mon Feb 1 02:36:59 PST 2010

Hang in there Jonathan.

Following this thread, I've seen many approaches to building, whether
it's collecting bits and pieces here and there...which BTW is the way I
started out to those who are smart enough and capable of building the
so-called California Kilowatt from scratch. but there have been the
occasional Transceiver, receiver and transmitter projects as well.
Those are well beyond my knowledge and skill level, or maybe it's just
lack of ambition<:-))

  My first "from scratch" project was that pair of 6L6's on the corner
of an old TV chassis that I mentioned earlier in the thread. That was
back when it took a lot of power to run a TV. The PS in one of those
sets could easily power a complete CW transmitter with a pair of 6146's
in the final. Ugly, rough, and heavy with a lot of sharp edges and
corners. It looked a bit lop sided too with all the *stuff* in/on one
corner and the rest of it a large empty expanse of that steel chassis,
but it worked.  I think I was as proud of that transmitter as any
project I ever built.

jonathan white wrote:
> Here is my slant  on this thread.
>  For the last 10yrs I have been slowly collecting bits for an amp. I
> would have liked to have got my hands on an old  SB200  or similar but
> in UK are rarer than hens teeth ,also  I have been plagued by an illness
> that they thought was  bipolar and now its got worse ,its epilepsy  due
> to me getting whooping cough as a baby,so periods of no work then all my
> money went to pay of bills.So patience is a virtue.and now  as I can no
> longer work ,I am home brewing a pair of good old 813`s in gg.

I'm glad I was able to work and retire at an early age...relatively
speaking.  I managed a good 10 years before Mother Nature threw me a
curve, but after having to learn how to walk again, I've reached the
point where few would ever notice I'd had a problem, although when tired
I do limp a bit and my left foot feels like a Novocaine shot is wearing off.

The 813's are one of my favorite tubes.  We used to get them so cheap we
didn't worry about over driving one. Of course back in those days we
din't worry about IM, just harmonics.
> Might not look pretty,but it will be all mine.Due to our 400 w pep limit
> 2, 813`s will do fine.
> I get the HV bits from Dr Alex when I can afford them.and my illness
> lets me get out to do it.

Just stick with it, one of these days it'll all come together and you
will have your amp on the air.
> BUT I still yearn a good old SB200/SB210,they just looked so as they
> say,... cool.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)