[Amps] MALWARE ALERT FOR RECENT POST (MY LAST POST ON THIS THREAD)

David Jordan wa3gin at comcast.net
Tue Feb 2 12:53:51 PST 2010

HAHA,

I believe you Roger.  It is classic Scareware.  I saw it also.  When you
loose your browser control it is best to just do a CONTROL/ALT/DELETE; click
on TASK MGR and end the browser task.  For most that would be Internet
Explorer.

You can also kill the browser if you click on the "Processes" tab, which is
the tab to the left of the "Applications" tab.  Then you would look for
iexplore.exe; hi-lite it and click on the "End Process" button in the lower
right side of the window.

A couple of us security guys talked about this off the list serve last night
and agree that site has some Scareware scripts running.  Anti-virus and
Firewalls will not typically suppress this garbage.  Anti-POPUP applications
may control it. If anyone clicked on the SCAREWARE pop-up their PC may have
accepted a malware download and it should be scanned for virus while
disconnected from the Internet.

Here is a good link to a great explanation of SCAREWARE and how to avoid it
and the risk associated with the experience:
http://security-antivirus-software.suite101.com/article.cfm/a_guide_to_scare
ware_fake_anti_virus_software

Now back to regular scheduled amps discussions ;-)

Good Luck,
Dave
Wa3gin