[Amps] MALWARE ALERT FOR RECENT POST

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Feb 2 14:34:33 PST 2010

Hi Jim,

Jim Dawson wrote:
> Roger,
>
> I don't want to beat a dead horse, especially since only one other
> here believes me, but
> you misunderstood what this is. I don't know if it's just a mouse over
> or what, but I was
> scrolling through the pictures and a window popped up advising me that
> I had a virus
> and should let "them" scan my machine.
Yup, That is the old "scareware". You should be OK as long as you just
closed out of it. For those not familiar with it the easiest way to
close your browser is to use Task Manager. They are able to disable the
ability to  close the browser.  Most people just hit reset, which is not
the cleanest way out.
> After a few seconds a full screen browser
> window popped up and would not let me close it. It wanted me to
> download their software.
> I finally got it closed hopefully before it installed anything harmful.
"So far" those things don't do anything "unless" you run it, but that
could easily change.

> Nothing was caught by
> my anti-virus or anti-spam software, this was all self contained. It
> has happened numerous
> times when visiting a PhotoBucket page. It is NOT caught by any
> running protection software.

I did have that happen once, but not on photobucket. It was some time
back just after these things start.  It can be a legit site that has
been infected, or it can be one of the off site adds, or links. Most
browsers can be set so they won't let the site you're on open a window
or popup.  That may be why I haven't been seeing them...then again the
next site I visit might do it.
> I don't really care if anyone heeds my warning or not, just relaying
> my experiences.

Now that I see the specifics I certainly agree.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)