[Amps] QRO Questions

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Sat Feb 6 22:29:44 PST 2010

Paul Christensen wrote:
>>>   There is a PTFE coax about the size of RG-58 with less loss and more
>>> power handling
>>>

>> RG-142B
>> Carl
>> KM1H
>>

> RG-400 is another PTFE variant, being similar to RG-142.  Tooling dimensions
> are identical to RG-58 and RG-142; crimping and stripping tools designed for
> RG-58 work well with either RG-142 or RG-400.
>
> I'm now using RG-400 for all inside shack coaxial cabling, including
> post-amplifiers.  Outside, the cabling transitions into either LMR400 or
> 600-ohm open line on ceramic spreaders.  With RG-400, I opted for slightly
> more loss in the shack with relatively short cable runs, but the benefit is
> in having bundled cables that take up a fraction of LMR/RG-213 types.

Were I going to run bundles of the stuff inside, I'd want plenum rated,
or keep in it metal conduit, which is what I do here. All runs in the
shop except for the pigtails from the patch panel to the rigs are less
than 5' and none are bundled.

I definitely would not want bundles of PTFE that were not contained
inside the shop. Of course it could run in the metal conduit which would
vent outside and is sealed at the entrance to the patch panel.

OTOH all wiring in the shop including control, telephone, and network is
inside, surface mount, metal conduit.

73

Roger (K8RI)