[Amps] QSK-5 insertion loss...

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Fri Feb 12 10:56:27 PST 2010

> My rough math indicates that 1500 watts out and 1 dB loss dissipates what,
> 300 watts in the QSK box?? Can't be? My QSK-1500 runs cold. Also, I don't
> see any significant loss on the power meter, but I haven't measured
> closely.

More investigation is needed as I came to the same calculated power
dissipation for 1.5 dB of loss at 10m.  I've validated my measurements on
three separate devices into a Bird Terma-Line load but the QSK-5 does not
appear to run unusually hot at 1KW from an SPE Expert amp.  I'll report back
when I find the root cause.  Seems like this might be a good use for an
industrial IR-detecting temperature scanner.

Paul, W9AC