[Amps] Ameritron AL-1500

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Feb 16 15:13:08 PST 2010

Shon Edwards wrote:
> I'm a bit new to HF and am looking at getting an Ameritron AL-1500 amp for
> some high power.  I am also going to get the Hy-Gain AV-18HT to help me
> punch out that power.  I'm really interested in doing some DX work.  Does
> anyone have any advice on someone getting a high-power amp for the first
> time?  I want to get a lower-priced amp, but high power.
I can offer a personal opinion:  I think the most bang for the buck is
probably the AL1200.  It's a legal limit amp with one of the most rugged
tubes on the market which is the most rugged tube in the normal ham
market place. Just the thing to handle the mistakes of new comers and
senior moments alike.  I don't know what it has in it for protective
circuitry, soft start, or full break in (if you operate CW)  I'm not
particularly fond of Ameritron amps, but OTOH they offer what I think is
quality for the money and have a full range of amps although I'd only
consider the AL1200 and AL1500 for legal limit with relatively heavy
duty power supplies.

They are pretty much "read the manual", then plug and play.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)