[Amps] 3000/5000

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Feb 16 18:54:48 PST 2010

4CX5000 is designed for a coaxial tube socket while the 3CX5000 is
designed for direct chassis mounting with no socket as such, required.
The 5000 is quite capable of requiring you to change all the coax
connectors and matching networks. OTOH The 3000 with 3500 watts plate
dissipation,  is no slouch being capable of almost 6KW continuous output.

Although hefty  it's not all that much larger than many tubes in common
use.  At 7.9" tall it's close to many of the older glass tubes, and at
4.63" it's not much larger diameter than 8295A used in the old
Hallicrafters HT-32B.

The 4CX5000 OTOH at 8.25" X 4.94" and 9.5# is a tad larger than most of
us are used to and is easily capable of 10KW output. OTOH it's smaller
than a 4-1000A, but more than a tad heavier. One data sheet lists the
max frequency as 220 MHz.  But with that you certainly could be
guaranteed of getting into the local repeater<:-)) Of course exposure
limits would be such that you'd need to put the antennas in the middle
of a fenced in field as well as having to construct nearly all of your
system from amp to antennas.

Your signal would likely stand out enough to become the center of
attention. <:-)) OTOH maybe you could point the antenna array North and
create an Aurora for the rest of us.

Can you imagine building an all band HF amp and what it'd take for a
tank circuit and band switch?

I wonder how either would adapt to the W6PO design in the
handbook?<:-))  How about a pair in push pull?
Guess I'd better go back to thinking about 3CPX800's<:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)