[Amps] AL-1500 and bias control with an external QSK

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Sat Feb 27 17:02:08 PST 2010

Hi,

Has anyone with the AL-1500/AL1200 used an external QSK with it and
knows which line to work with to turn on/off biasing with the QSK
unit?

>From the QSK Master FAQ:
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/qsk_faq.htm#top of page

reading from the line: Q:  Can you give me some specific details on
how to actually modify my amplifier for bias switching?...

It gives some direction as to what to do but if there's someone here
who has done this, I'd appreciate knowing which line it is in this
amp and what was done to make it work.

I did purchase the Ameritron Bias board and installed it yesterday.
it seems to work acceptably well in the amps CW position giving about
50 mils resting plate current but when I switch to the SSB position
it jumps to around 180 mils resting plate current and is no better
that it was without be board. Seems like my best choice is to let the
remote QSK initiate the bias switching as it suggests above.

Thanks.

73,

Gary
KA1J