[Amps] Right mounting of HV oilfilled C's?

Thomas Hoeppe thomas.hoeppe at asamnet.de
Mon Jan 4 06:38:30 PST 2010

Hello Peter and Arne!

I am afraid you are right! I replaced the damaged capacitor by the 3rd one I bought. Then I placed a mA meter from the rectifier to the capacitors.
1. The current is slightly more then expected from the bleeders.
2. The current is "unstable".....mooving up and down for about 2 mA. Not a good sign...
3. The replaced capacitor is getting warm a bit. Not much, but more then the "survived".

I expect the next bang. I think I will add a fuse between rectifier and capacitor, too.

Thanks for your help! I always thought those oilfilled are the best choice!

Tom, DJ5RE