[Amps] which HV connector to use?

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 13:31:54 PST 2010

I'm trying to get my head wrapped around all this.

I am planning a h.v. supply homebrew project and have most of the
parts (but every time I think that something like this comes up).

I want to build a separate B+ supply for my Ten Tec Centurion amp.
The idea is to have a supply that does not increase the voltage but
increases the current capability and goes from ICAS to CCS.  It's
partly unnecessary I admit, but it started with good intention and
also as a learning exercise (which it still is).  The idea is to make
the Centurion capable of handing high duty cycle modes and AM, but the
power supply will also be useful for other future projects, supplying
3.2 KV at 1.5 A CCS.

I bought some h.v. wire and those millen plug/jack pairs from RF Parts
a few months ago.  Now it seems they're inadvisable.   I admit the
h.v. wire seems hard to work with, brittle and hard to strip.   RG213
by comparison is a lot easier to work with.   I'm getting the
impression I should go with that, hardwired into the amp cabinet with
SHV connectors on the power supply cabinet.   Or is this overkill for
3.2 KV?

73

Rob
K5UJ