[Amps] KK5DR's ferrite loaded plate chokes.

Missouri Guy n0tt1 at juno.com
Sat Jan 16 20:22:39 PST 2010

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:59:18 -0800 "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom at telus.net>
writes:
> I Checked a bunch of really old  e-mail, and notes.   The folk's  who
> duplicated the KK5DR plate choke, using  1/2"  type 43 rod, stuffed
> into the inside of a  hollowed out 1" OD  Teflon rod
> had nothing but grief.   All the  rods overheated !   In some cases,
> the rod actually launched itself  out the top !
>
> Either  1" type  43 rod is required,  [like several  type  43,   1"
> Od beads slid over the 1/2"  rod]....   or several  type 43 rods
> bundled  together.
>
> Perhaps  type 43  material is the wrong stuff to be using  for a
> plate choke...esp considering the  typ plate load Z's involved ??

Yes, wrong stuff to use.  As an experiment, I made a much smaller choke
using #43, then measured the reactance with a small current flowing
through the windings.  The reactance dropped dramatically!
Then I used a powdered iron core and that made a huge
difference, with almost no reactance decrease at all.

73,
Charlie, N0TT