[Amps] KK5DR's ferrite loaded plate chokes.

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sat Jan 16 21:16:54 PST 2010

Jim Thomson wrote:
> I Checked a bunch of really old  e-mail, and notes.   The folk's  who duplicated the KK5DR plate choke, using  1/2"  type 43 rod, stuffed into the inside of a  hollowed out 1" OD  Teflon rod
> had nothing but grief.   All the  rods overheated !   In some cases, the rod actually launched itself  out the top !

It's amusing how much time the guy has devoted to writing about things he knows
little about. It would be a bit like me writing about brain surgery, concrete,
glues, flower arranging, or anything else I know next to nothing about.

Reading his background notes, it sounds like he knows a lot about welding. His
time would be better spent writing web pages about that.

I have an electronics background and try to not be overly critical of people
that do not. But when they go writing web pages, as if they are an authority on
the subject, it does get a bit annoying.

It is like the Wikipedia article on the Yagi-Uda antenna. Clearly written by
people that know next to nothing about them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yagi_antenna

Dave