[Amps] KK5DR's ferrite loaded

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Jan 22 16:01:12 PST 2010

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 18:27:06 +0100, Angel Vilaseca wrote:

>But on the other hand, a choke wound on a ferrite rod is used as the
>filament choke in the cathode circuit of almost every triode power amp
>design. So it must work very well.

>How is this?

Several reasons. First, there are many different KINDS of ferrites, and
their properties are VERY DIFFERENT. Second, an RF choke in a filament
line sees a LOT less RF that one in a plate circuit.

>Also, the type of ferrite used for the bifilar filament chokes that I
>have seen in most published designs does not seem to be very critical.
>Is it for the same reason?

>Would a toroid be better than a rod for the filament choke?

I suggest you STUDY the material on ferrites in my tutorial (link
previously cited), and in the 2010 version of the ARRL Handbook, and
incorporate what you learn in the design of these chokes.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC