[Amps] Source for large purchase of toroids?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Jan 23 11:03:40 PST 2010

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 20:09:13 +0200, alexeban wrote:

>Yesss!
>That's why I mentioned Bytemark: they market Amidon now!

Amidon doesn't MAKE these parts. They BUY stuff, put their own
part numbers on it, and sell it at OBSCENE MARKUPS (typically 4-
5 times their cost).

I've helped organize group purchases for several ham clubs
(others have done the real purchasing and distribution work,
I've done the pointing). Charlie is right -- study the Fair-Rite
catalog (that's who actually MAKES the parts you want) and learn
their part numbers. Or see Appendix One of my tutorial

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

for part numbers of some parts useful for chokes and
suppression, AND a list of good industrial vendors in the US who
sell at prices FAR lower than Amidon or Palomar or Bytemark.
Those good vendors include Newark, Allied, Lodestone, and
Kreiger.

Last I heard, minimum order from the factory (Fair-Rite) was
$500, and you MUST buy in box quantities. Their 2.4-inch toroids
are packed 100 to the box.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC