[Amps] Source for large purchase of toroids?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Jan 26 08:13:21 PST 2010

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:58:00 -0600, chas wrote:

>ok, micrometals material codes are completely different from Fair-Rite.

>so, what does Fair-Rite #31 = in MMetals?
>ditto question of F-R   #43 = in MMetals??

They are not "different codes." they are VERY DIFFERENT MATERIALS, have
VERY different properties, and used for different purposes. Micrometals
makes powered iron, which are primarily used for inductors. Fair-Rite
makes ferrites, which are used as inductors, transformers, and
suppressors.

Fair-Rite #43 is a pretty generic VHF suppressor material, and several
other companies make equivalents. Fair-Rite #31 is a new mix they
developed about 10 years ago, and as far as I know, hasn't yet been
copied.

>where is the scientific data on their products, etc?

See their website.

It is CRAZY to go to all this trouble to try to find "generic
equivalents" to Fair-Rite parts simply because Amidcon and Palomar are
raping us with their prices. Instead, simply go to industrial
distributors of Fair-Rite parts and buy them at the right prices, not
Amidon or Palomar's inflated prices.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC