[Amps] Building an Amp & Metal Working is an Art.

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 30 03:50:30 PST 2010

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 02:42:48 -0500, Roger <sub1 at rogerhalstead.com>
wrote:

>The holes
>for the tubes and sockets must not look like they were done with a hole
>saw. This can be done with either a fly cutter, or punch press.

REPLY:

I agree that a hole saw does not do very pretty holes compared to
other methods, but if done carefully, I think they can be adequate.
The secrets to making good holes wit a hole saw are:  1. Go slow. You
need to CUT your way through the aluminum, not BURN your way through.
2. Use a sharp hole saw. When it gets dull, toss it. 3. Spend some
time cleaning up the inevitable burr.

And try not to be too obsessive about it. Few if any of the holes will
ever be seen when the amp is in actual use. You don't need "perfect",
you need "good enough".

73, Bill W6WRT