[Amps] Good amp to buy maybe build..

Ron Youvan ka4inm at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jan 30 05:10:12 PST 2010

> Despite what you might think, it is actually cheaper to buy a
> commercial amplifier than to homebrew. I know that sounds like heresy
> to the dedicated homebrewer, but I believe it is true when everything
> is taken into account.

> For example, if you purchase all brand new parts, you lose right off
> the bat. Manufacturers can buy parts cheaper than an individual can.
> Just the cost of shipping all those parts one by one will kill you.

> Second, you will not believe how many hours you will spend just
> collecting the parts. Third, you will not believe how many hours you
> spend actually building and testing the amplifier. Manufacturers have
> the advantage here,  unless you count your time as free.
/*snip*/

   I would only build an amplifier from HAMfests and the Inet.
Building your own is part of the fun in HAM Radio for us
technologically minded HAMS, that is what drew us in in the first place.
   Mine will be push pull cross neutralized grid driven ...  all solid state
contactors (except for vacuum RF contactors ...)
   I'm going after several DXCCs before I die.  I will need the power ...
--
    Ron  KA4INM - He who attacks the fundamentals of the American broadcasting industry
                  attacks democracy itself.        -- William S. Paley, chairman of CBS