[Amps] Fw: Good amp to buy /amp notes

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 30 20:12:47 PST 2010

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 22:40:47 -0500, Roger <sub1 at rogerhalstead.com>
wrote:

>With full carrier and full output, you can also adjust the ALC so it
>just becomes active. Then when talking keep the drive down to the point
>where you are just under where the ALC becomes active, but don't use the
>ALC to limit the output or it'll really splatter.

REPLY:

There are two kinds of ALC and I think Roger is talking about the kind
of ALC that is fed back from the amplifier to the transceiver. With
that kind, I fully agree with the above.

But there is also ALC that is generated entirely within the
transceiver (such as my IC-756Pro3), and is completely independent of
the amplifier. With that kind you can safely use ALC to limit the
drive and it does an excellent job, I might add.

And if you use the internal type of ALC, you don't need the fed-back
kind at all.

73, Bill W6WRT