[Amps] Good amp to buy (or something like that)

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Sun Jan 31 12:57:43 PST 2010

All you need to do is feed a square wave audio into an SSB transmitter and
look at the RF output waveform. You will not see a square wave but will see
sharp spikes that represent the rise and fall of the square wave corners. If
you do the same with an AM transmitter you will get a nice square wave
modulation envelope out at RF provided the modulator can pass the
frequencies involved.

Yes audio peak limiting helps some on SSB but because of all the phase shift
involved in SSB generation the RF envelope does not closely resemble the
audio input. Look at what happens as soon as you start to limit audio peaks.
You are creating square waves from the otherwise sin wave audio.

73
Gary K4FMX