[Amps] Plate Choke Resonances

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 31 21:21:03 PST 2010

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 20:35:15 -0800 (PST), Robert Groh
<rgroh at swbell.net> wrote:

>The usual meaning (or what I get is the usual meaning from looking at other sources on the web) for the Tesla effect is coupling from one element to another via magnetic and/or capacitive effects.  The meaning here is more to do with off-resonance effects.

REPLY:

Ok, but don't confuse the Tesla effect with transformer effects.
Either one can raise voltage quite high, but the mechanism is very
different.

A transformer does its thing purely by magnetic coupling and does not
store energy from one cycle to another.

A Tesla coil, by comparison, stores energy by means of the "flywheel
effect" of a parallel resonant tank and actually adds more energy with
each RF cycle that is pumped into it, something a transformer can not
do. The amount of energy buildup is limited by the Q of the circuit
and in many cases, by corona if the voltage gets really high.

A true Tesla coil, as built by some experimenters, contains both a
parallel resonant circuit and a transformer and uses both phenomena to
achieve some truly spectacular results. I visited the Tesla museum in
Colorado a few years ago and they demonstrated a million volt Tesla
coil - truly awesome.

73, Bill W6WRT