[Amps] Plate Choke Resonances

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Sun Jan 31 21:25:31 PST 2010

My point is that you are worried about parallel resonance in the plate choke
and damage to it because of that. I am pointing out that the voltage across
the choke will be held in check by the tank circuit no matter if the choke
is parallel resonant or not.

Your example of disconnecting the antenna and driving the amp full power is
an extreme one. Many things would probably arc in that instance including
the plate tune capacitor and probably the bandswitch. The arcing of the
plate tune capacitor in some amps protects the bandswitch from arcing in
those situations along with other components. The plate choke being parallel
resonant or not will usually not be a deciding factor.

73
Gary  K4FMX