[Amps] I dont accept answers to why did Heath die?

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Sun Jan 31 21:29:54 PST 2010

Glen Zook wrote:
> There are some kits available, usually fairly simple, but there are a couple complex ones out there.
>
> But, Heath's "bread and butter" was NOT amateur radio although, for decades, amateur radio equipment was very profitable.  Heath sold many thousands of test equipment, "hi-fi" equipment, and so forth.
>
> Like it or not, amateur radio operators are a VERY small market when compared to consumer items.  Then "figure in" the actual number of operators who really would build kits if they were available.  Frankly, the economics are just not there!  The companies who are manufacturing kits today are generally doing so as a "side line" and are not showing a large profit.
>
> Next, we live in a society today that is very prone to "suing" someone if things don't go right or if they are injured in any way.  Frankly, someone today building an amplifier kit with lethal voltages present is an open invitation to a very large lawsuit.  If liability insurance is available, the cost of such insurance is going to increase the cost of the kit substantially.  Back when Heath was in its "hey day" if someone got shocked they figured out why and tried not to get shocked again.  Today, if someone gets shocked, or worse, then the lawsuits start.  It seems if the lawsuits include the manufacturer of the device, the electric company that provides the electricity, the manufacturer of the wire that conducted the electricity, the mine owner who owned the mine from which the copper that was used in the wire came from, and anyone else who is remotely a party.
>
> I definitely would like to see a "new" Heathkit type of company.  But, realistically, it just isn't going to happen.  At least on a scale that is even a fraction of what Heath produced.

And contrary to what some believe the demand just isn't there.  Sure
there are some, maybe even groups that would like to build some kits.
Still...few of us want to build the same thing so the kit line would
need to cover a variety of equipment. Just the entry level and legal
limit amps means two entirely different setups.  Although, to be smart,
use the same cabinet on all.  Use sub assemblies that can be assembled
and then installed. A number of the commercial amp manufacturers do it
that way.  Rectifier and capacitor banks. can be built as modules. Use
the approach Alpha did with almost all of the metal work being flat
panels. The cover which is a very simple U-shape with those broke edges
costs $200 for a 76A. Any actual shaping adds considerable to the time
and cost.

The ham who said he uses Aluminum angle for the corners and then fastens
flat sheets to them has the right idea.   I'd not use angle any where
near the size he does, but I'd use sufficient that when assembled it'd
be rigid and strong. The more *stock* pre formed pieces such as angles
and sheets the faster and neater it goes together.

However Heath did fold for the reasons given and it was a different
world back then. As Glen says, you didn't have to worry (much) about
getting sued for someone else's mistakes. Nor are people as interested
in technology today as they were back then.  The numbers for those
entering science and engineering college courses is down even though
enrollment is up.  People want to be protected from virtually everything
and unwilling to take responsibility for their own actions.

Three years ago I ended up in the hospital. The doc on call misdiagnosed
the problem and sent me home. A couple hours later I was back. After 5
days in the hospital I had to learn how to walk again. Many at that
point would have thought their fortune had been made.

73

Roger (K8RI)