[Amps] FW: Bridging 120v loads across HV primary windings

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 3 10:13:27 PDT 2010

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 11:19:05 -0500, "Ron McCurdy" <firemonitor at cox.net>
wrote:

>I've been engineering electrical systems since 1962.  You are wrong.  He
>must ground the tap where he gets the "neutral" and provide some type of
>fuse or circuit breaker protection on the "hot".  Otherwise, if he
>accidentally gets the hot grounded to something, there will be an arc until
>someone runs to shut off the power to the transformer...it won't trip til
>someone is fried.

REPLY:

I agree he must fuse both "hots", but why would he have to ground the
center tap of his transformer? If I understand his circuit right, the
center tap is simply floating, having no connection to either ground
or neutral. What would be wrong with that as long as both "hots" are
fused?

Assuming his amp is in a metal box which is grounded, I can't picture
where the safety hazard would be. I

73, Bill W6WRT