[Amps] FW: Bridging 120v loads across HV primary windings

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Thu Jun 3 07:33:45 PDT 2010

 > You are wrong.  He must ground the tap where he gets the "neutral"
 > and provide some type of fuse or circuit breaker protection on the
 > "hot".

Not on your life!  One never grounds the wiper of a variac (auto-
transformer).  Connecting a 120 volt load between the center tap
of a primary and one load line is EXACTLY like an autotransformer.

There is no requirement that a neutral be connected to the panel
as long as the (plate) transformer can handle the unbalanced
primary current.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV