[Amps] soft start, how to determine if needed?

Herzog herzog at frontiernet.net
Mon Mar 1 21:05:27 PST 2010

Herzog says there is confusion.
There are thermistors of a type that measure 25 to 100 ohms when cold,
and drop to an ohm or two when hot.
   My last one has been keeping my outdoor light, 25 feet up under the
eves, working for 35 years.  I also have a diode in series so runs soft
light.  I just don't want to climb up there anymore.
The diode causes the motion sensor relay to build up a stalagmite or
some such, but tapping it with a liter bottle frees that sticking up
every few years.  K2LB
=========
RE:  On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 09:58:56 +0200, "Alex Eban" <alexeban at gmail.com>
wrote:

 > >By the way, an old trick that was used in tube type TV sets was to
install a
 > >thermistor in series with the mains.

REPLY:

That thermistor was not used for soft start. It was part of the
degaussing system and had very poor reliability. I changed hundreds of
them over the years. Not recommended.

73, Bill W6WRT