[Amps] PTFE dielectricum variable cap

la7sl Nils Petter la7sl at norgespost.no
Mon Mar 15 14:12:36 PDT 2010

I tried to make a fixed padding (parallell) cap for 160 plate circuit ( PI )
using a stack of brass/ptfe/brass etc connecting together
every second layer. It was finally pressed together by means
of 3mm ptfe sheet.
The dielectric layers were 0,5 mm
It was supposed to be used in a 2x 4CX250A  amp.
It tested just fine at highpot to 4 kV
The amp was run at 1800V.
The "smoke test" ended as just that...
fine up to 50% drive ...then smoke...then BANG !
Inspection showed a lot of very fine holes burned through the
PTFE-dielectricum all across sutfaces. May be I did not pay enough attention
polishing the brass sheet, and so created "hot spots"---
or maybe it was just a bad idea ??