[Amps] ripple in B+ supply

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 12:54:38 PDT 2010

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:59:08 -0400, "Jim Tonne" <tonne at comcast.net>
wrote:

>> Just saying "1% ripple" with no qualifiers leads to
>> confusion.
>
>=====Absolutely wrong!   In that writer's mind, I would
>suppose, but not in general.   Certainly not my
>mind.
<snip>

>What is being overlooked here is that the ripple
>in the usual power supply is nearly sinusoidal,
<snip>

Bill you are a bright and knowledgeable fellow
but I think you should back off on this one.   :-)

REPLY:

I appreciate your kind words Jim, but I have to respectfully disagree.
All of the PS ripple I have ever scoped looks more like a sawtooth
than a sine wave, having a sharp leading edge and a more gentle
trailing edge.

Second (and most important) I still maintain that saying X% ripple
without specifying P-P or RMS just leads to the inevitable question
"Which did you mean?". All I ask is the author specify which. Either
way is fine as long as I know which is being used.

I was using a scope to look at ripple long before I owned a true RMS
meter so I might be prejudiced, but I suspect there are lots like me
out there.

73, Bill W6WRT