[Amps] ripple in B+ supply.

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 25 10:15:23 PDT 2010

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 06:03:37 -0700, "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom at telus.net>
wrote:

>##  Bill, EVERY  arrl  book I have, [back to 1960] plus Orrs'
>books  always references  ripple to RMS.   Every ARRL formulae
>is referenced to RMS.

REPLY:

RMS is a useful piece of info, no argument there, but anyone who is
seriously evaluating a PS will want to look at the output with a scope
to see if there are any "funnies" going on such as the presence of
excessive RF, missing or seriously unequal half-cycles from an FWB,
etc.

Like I said, I am probably prejudiced. I was brought up in electronics
by folks who taught me that a scope is more useful than a meter, and I
still believe that. Of course it is best to have both, but in cases
involving AC measurements, I reach for the scope first.

I worked at Tektronix for ten years too. No doubt that had some
impact.  :-)

73, Bill W6WRT