[Amps] Cleaning air-wound coils

Ron Youvan ka4inm at tampabay.rr.com
Wed May 5 06:40:39 PDT 2010

Ron Youvan wrote:

>  >> How do you get the tarnish off of miniductor or airdux-type coils wound
>  >> with tinned wire?

>> The problem is keeping it looking fresh without affecting performance.
>> Maybe a very light coat of clear acrylic if the RF doesn't get them
>> too warm.

>> If you're real talented maybe a fast dip in a solder pot after
>> cleaning or even silver plating.

>   I think part of the problem with these coils is frequently the thin
> tin coating is scratched and rubbed off.  (copper shows through) A real
> good cleaning followed by one of the "cold tin" platings would restore
> the original look.  (lacking a silver coating)

After thinking about miniductor coils I realized:    (skin effect)
metal			resistivity
silver			106
copper			100 annealed
copper			89.5 hard drawn
gold			65
tin			13

   this makes me think the tin coated miniductor coil material is a very bad idea when it
comes to high power  from:  www.wisetool.com/designation/cond.htm
--
    Ron  KA4INM - The next election, I know what is going to happen, I'm going to help.