[Amps] Cleaning air-wound coils

John Wilson amps at grebe.plus.com
Wed May 5 07:07:35 PDT 2010

Has anyone done any tests on the comparative Q between Silver plated,
enamelled and tinned wire coils?  I've always felt that factory
enamelled wire stood a much better chance of retaining a good Q for a
long time as the surface of the copper should still be pristine under
the enamel.  The other question is how long the enamel will last if used
at high temperatures.  Carbonised enamel is probably worse than
tarnished tin!

John G3UUT