[Amps] Transformer E-I lamination sources?

Roger sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Thu May 20 15:16:30 PDT 2010

On 5/20/2010 3:52 PM, ToddRoberts2001 at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 5/20/2010 12:41:18 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
> sub1 at rogerhalstead.com writes:
>
> I've been searching  the Internet for suppliers of transformer E-I
> laminations. I've found a few,  but their web sites are difficult to
> navigate and I never did find the  specific laminations I wanted. That
> and most of them are off shore  industrial suppliers and I don't really
> need a couple tons of the  stuff.<:-))
>
> 73
>
> Roger (K8RI)
>

> Hi,
> What sizes you  are looking for?

I'm looking for several sizes. Smaller ones (power transformers ~ 300 to
500 VA) that will require bobbins and larger ones (~ 3 to 4 KVA) that
will get wound on a wooden form in a lathe before inserting the laminations.
It's just something I want to try as I've never wound a transformer.

I also have a couple I want to rewind, which I think it more difficult
that straight winding with the separation and cleaning of the
laminations followed by re-coating.
I'd like to be able to build an amp and say I build everything except
the tube. <:-))

It's one of those things I may never get done but would like try.

Thanks for the information.

73

Roger (K8RI)