[Amps] How to read the 3-500Z spec sheet?

Larry larry at w7iuv.com
Sun May 23 19:22:43 PDT 2010

On 23-May-10 6:15 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

>   >  NO NO NO NO. You only need to know the RATIO between the output
>   >  and input power. That's what a dB is... A RATIO  .. That's what
>   >  GAIN>  is.... A RATIO.... Even an uncalibrated watt meter will
>   >  give you that information as long as it is linear.
>
> NO!  You have to know what the two values are in order to know
> what the ratio is,  Even if you're using a two channel scope,
> it is necessary to measure the specific RF voltages.  Then, IF
> you know the impedances accurately (or your can guarantee they
> are identical) you can calculate the radio.

Oh now I understand. You are assuming that everything possible is going
to be worst case. Broken amplifier, broken load, broken exciter and
broken operator. Given that assumption, I have to agree.

Silly me, I assumed that if something was not right, it would get fixed
before trying to measure it.... But then given the posts that appear on
this list I guess yours is the more correct assumption.

>   >  What are you talking about? How does measured power applied to
>   >  the input jack have anything at all to do with what's going on
>   >  in the exciter?
>
> Many amplifiers do not have properly designed inputs and the
> solid state exciters operate at significant SWR.  Add to that
> the changes in tuning based on power level which will change
> the input SWR, and simple wattmeters with insufficient
> directionality will mis-state the true input power.

Again, it boggles my mind that any intelligent person would try to do
anything under those conditions. Again, apparently a wrong assumption.
But given those conditions, you could not do a two tone test or anything
else that made sense.

> Of course, you could use a 6 dB pad between the exciter and
> the amplifier to isolate the exciter from the amplifier tuning
> - but then most users would not know anything about that either.

I agree.

However, I still maintain that given a reasonably technically competent
operator with equipment that is in reasonably good condition, the 1 dB
PO compression test will quickly establish the best linear operating
conditions for any given amplifier within acceptable ham radio
tolerances. It works for QRP, QRO, and mega-QRO; BJT's, FET's, triodes,
tetrodes, and even TWT's, anything that is supposed to be linear. If you
look across the industry P1dB is a standard, only in ham radio is it
ignored.

73, Larry