[Amps] How to read the 3-500Z spec sheet?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sun May 23 20:45:12 PDT 2010

 > Oh now I understand. You are assuming that everything possible
 > is going to be worst case. Broken amplifier, broken load, broken
 > exciter and broken operator. Given that assumption, I have to agree.

It may or may not be "broken" as you put it.  However, given the
number of amplifiers with untuned inputs and the number of solid
state transceivers that fold back unpredictably with such amplifiers
or have alc/power controls that are unstable, it takes more than a
little skill and test equipment well beyond the "CB Special" wattmeter
to make accurate 1 dB compression measurements.

A semi-competent individual is just as likely to achieve results
that are just as good by tuning an amplifier for maximum smoke
and backing off the drive until the output is 80% of that maximum
level (down 1 dB).  Unfortunately, the prevailing attitude is to
hit an amplifier with the maximum possible drive level and tune
for maximum smoke ... who cares about maximum plate current
ratings, plate dissipation ratings, or grid current ratings?

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV