[Amps] Fermi Lab HV solutions

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Fri May 28 10:03:19 PDT 2010

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Wed, 26 May 2010 08:18:07 -0700, Patrick Barthelow
<apolloeme at live.com> wrote:

>I am surprised that Fermilab rates RG 213 for use up to 20KV. Also, here is
>
>the HV connector website of Teledyne Reynolds, referred to in the text below:
>
>http://www.teledynereynolds.com/product/1singlepin/2-521series/page8.asp

REPLY:

Here's a quote from the above website:  "WARNING: These connectors
should NEVER be handled, mated or unmated when voltage is applied"

This is a good idea for any HV connector, but be aware that there are
HV connectors which can be "hot-plugged" safely. One example is the
model 8101 from Surplus Sales of Nebraska:

http://www.surplussales.com/Wire-Cable/HVWire-2.html

It's the third one down on the left. I DO NOT recommend hot-plugging,
but if you accidentally do, this one won't kill you.

It MUST be installed with the panel mount socket on the power supply
and the flying lead HARD WIRED to the amplifier (no connector on that
end). Done this way, it's about as safe as you can get.

For $15, it's cheap insurance.

73, Bill W6WRT