[Amps] time to death...

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Fri Nov 12 08:26:49 PST 2010

Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 14:29:34 -0600
From: "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] time to death...
Great story Colin and Roger.

This redundancy thing can be taken to infinity.  Fortunately, the only life threating situation this amp provides is when I have my
fingers poking around in it's guts.  For normal operation, I'm happy to have a main and a backup.  Of course, the amp has lived for
25 years or so and not managed to explode without any of this "newfangled stuff that just breaks down all the time" - as my dad
would have said...

73, Jeff AC?C

>    So, having things bullet proof automatic to override gross mental errors is good.  Such things as grid trip and swr shutdown
> can save your amplifier.

##  I find it amusing that the megabuck  external  ALPHA wattmeter   does not have high swr shut down !
Their amps will shut down when REF  hits 300w.... but the problem with triggering off  REF power is...if you
want to run low power like 600w out..... then 300w REF is  50%  ref power, which is a  sky high swr.
IMO, ur better to trip offline with high swr, vs  high ref power.   Whey they have no provision for either method
on their expensive wattmeter is beyond me....esp if the amp being used has no high swr protection.

## electronic grid overcurrent protection is cheap to implement.  On 3CX-3000A7's,  etc,  a simple, fast 3agc type
grid fuse is ample protection.

Jim   VE7RF