[Amps] EBM-Papst speed control (WAS: Blower source)

Bill, W6WRT dezrat1242 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 19:24:53 PST 2010

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 17:55:54 -0800, Jim Barber <audioguy at charter.net>
wrote:

>The datasheet for the 108mm flange EBM-Papst blowers suggests that you
>can switch between different value run capacitors for speed control. I
>wonder if anyone's tried that?

REPLY:

I did play around with different value caps and it does indeed change
speed, but I eventually settled on the recommended 4 uF. With that value
the blower starts and runs strong and is unbelievably quiet and
vibration free. You can hold it in your hand when running and you can
barely feel the vibration. Truly amazing.

73, Bill W6WRT