[Amps] 2010 ARRL Handbook

Roger (sub1) sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Fri Nov 12 19:27:09 PST 2010

On 11/12/2010 9:49 PM, Carl wrote:
> Is the D7 amp the same one that was in a few years ago and got pulled
> when the tube was  NLA? Now that its available again, at $1200, what
> is the purpose except as a showcase for the author?
If I follow all of it, the D7 is quite different than the 8877. It uses
the same socket as the 3-500Z, has a 5V Thoriated Tungsten filament  at
30 A.  Same voltage and current as a pair of 3-500Zs and was designed to
replace a pair of them.  Except for price I'd pick one over the 8877.
70 watts of drive gives about 2 KW out with 930 watts of plate
dissipation. Oh! The grid dissipation is 50 watts.  3rd order are -29
and -34 dB at 3 and 4.5 KV respectively  5th order are -43 and -37
respectively.

OTOH "Typical operation" under 30 MHz is 5 kVdc on the plate, 0.710 A
anode current, where 95 watts of drive gives 2400 watts out with 1220
Watts dissipation at 3760 Ohms load impedance.

However the max ratings are for 100 MHz unlike the 8877 which will
easily go to 2-meters IIRC.
CPI has the data sheets in pdf.

73

Roger (K8RI)