[Amps] Replacement of Collins bulbs in the 30S-1 amplifier (and other Collins)

Joel Kornreich k2qbv at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 14 16:34:13 PST 2010

Noticed a couple of comments concerning bulbs in radio equipment.  I have a 30S-1 Collins amplifier and for a long time, I kept blowing out the dial and two meters on the 30S-1  front panel.  If one remembers, these Collins radios were designed around 110 volts.  In todays society radios are coming out with 120 volts.  Anyway, I changed all the pilot bulbs in my Collins from the #47 to #51 bulb which is 7.5 volts. The higher voltage to my amplifier pushes the 6 volts up just a little and bulbs are gone. Also changed the K201 step-start relay to 115 volts inplace of the standard 1960s 110 volts.  I'm sure this will help a few people owning Collins from 50 years ago. Joel, K2QBV